It is a time for everyone choosing their own top 10.. best movies or best albums.... Here is my list of top 10 tamil songs that I loved... it is an ardous task for sure.. but it gives you an opportunity to go back different time periods in your life and think which songs had an impact on you the most.. so, here it goes.. forget the order, after the first one, guys..
1) Vennilave.. (Minsara Kanavu) This is indeed the most favorite song ever for me... I have never heard any other song so many times thus far.. What did Hariharan and Sadhna think they were doing? I thought They were just playing with the mind of the people listening to the song.. When he sings "Ada ulagai rasikka vendum naan unn pondra pennodu.." What a proposal... sabash, Vairamuthu... To listen, click here.
2) Enn Veettu Thottathil.. (Gentleman) People said it was inspired from a Malayalam devotional song.. who cares.. Again SPB and Sujatha.. terrific combo.. nice duet.. To listen, click here.
3) Nila kayum neram ...(Chembaruthi) Mano and Janaki's slow melodious duet soothens anytime I listen .. Ilayaraja's use of violin in the interlude is awesome.. To listen, click here
4) Kallellam manicka... (Alayamani) My parents said the maid used this as the lullaby to put me to sleep when I was a toddler.. Beeeeautiful song.. Viswanathan-Ramamurthy-Kannadasan trio's unforgettable masterpiece.. TMS's strong metallic voice and LR Eswari's unique melody blended to perfection.. To listen, click here
5) Meenamma... (Aasai) I have heard someone telling this was inspired from some western album.. Nevertheless, I thought Deva did a good job with this.. I started liking Anuradha Sriram after this one.. she must have been smiling all through while singing this song.. Nice lyrics by Vairamuthu and good picturization too.. with Raju Sundaram & co. dancing behind a screen.. to listen, click here
6) Paadariyenn.. (Sindhu Bairavi) Do I need to say why? To listen, click here. Didnt maestro and Chitra win the national award for this one? Rarely have I heard Chitra in a more commanding voice. To listen, click here.
7) Kadhal Rojave ... (Roja) SPB's expressive voice for the soul-stirring lyrics of Vairamuthu, with Sujatha Singing the lalala... Different music by ARR.. To listen, click here
8) Ennulle.. (Valli) Excellent beginning to the song with a Bharatanatyam piece.. then a slow guitar.. (Wah.. IR).. then comes Swarnalatha.. expressing all of a woman's feeling in the way only she can.. Vaali can be real proud of this one.. To listen, click here
9) Manam virumbudhe... (Nerukku Nerr) Harini at her best.. A rare song by Deva based on a karnatic raagam. The same version sung by Unnikrishnan was lovely too. To listen, click here.
10) Konjum Manjal.. (Ullasam) I think this is the best song by Karthik Raja so far.. Slow buildup to the song was a good piece.. nice beat.. I thought this would be a turning point for KR.. Hariharan-Harini's one of the best duets.. To listen, click here.
If the list can be extended to top-25, then my other favorites are 11) Devathaiyai kandenn.. (Kadhal kondenn); 12) Sangeetha swarangal (Azhagan); 13) Enn kadhalae (Duet); 14) Minnale.. (May madham); 15) Ennavale.. (kadhalan); 16) Thandatti.. (Kadhal); 17) Athangarai (Kizhakku Seemaiyile); 18) Vayadhu vaa (Thulluvatho Ilamai); 19) Edhedho (Punnagai Mannan); 20) Oyila (Seevalaperi Pandi); 21) Amaidhiyana.. (Andavan Kattalai); 22) Azhagiya kanne (Udhiripookkal); 23) Sendhazhampoovil (Mullum malarum); 24) Nallavarkkellam (Thyagam) and 25) Adhisaya ragam (Apoorva Ragangal).