Recently, when Amrish Puri died, I felt that Indian cinema has lost one of the most charming actors.. Though he acted in a few non-negative roles towards the end of his career, he was obviously famous for his villainous roles. When I think of the most notorious villains Tamil cinema has seen, here is what comes to my mind...
1) Maayan in Thevar magan - Nasser in a really deadly role as Kamal's pangaali.. The climax scene "Vaada, Thevar Magane.. " is unforgettable...
2) Neelambari in Padayappa - Not that a Kamal's villain has to be followed by Rajini's.. but, usually in Rajini's movies the villain's role would be only for the fight scenes.. but, Ramya scored over Rajini. As even Rajini acknowledged, "Neelambari ille-nna Padayappa ille".
3) Amavasai in Amaidhi Padai - After long time, Satyaraj got a chance to be a baddie and, didnt he give a scare to the other villains? Smart, cunning and thick-skinned, he completely eclipsed the 'son' Satyaraj.. "vazhkkaiyile munneranumna naayi ennanga.. edhu vandhalum midhichu pottu poitte irukkanunga..."
4) Badri in Kurudhipunal: Again Nasser.. never yielding to the psychological interrogation of Aadhi (Kamal), he had something in him that even Aadhi was afraid of.
5) Madan in Kanakandaen: A young and handsome person with always a smile on his lips shows his real face as the money-minded crook. As much as he was loveable as a gentleman, he earns our hatred later.
6) MN Nambiar in Mandhirikumari: As the bald and notorious minister, Nambiar was a villain personified all the way - his looks, walking, speech, voice everything.
7) Madhavan in Aasai - As the army officer-turned-Ravana, Prakash Raj was irrepressible. The climax was top class act.
8) Deva in Vaali - As the deaf-and-dumb but immensely intelligent elder sibling, Ajit gave his best performance so far. Bone-chilling performance.
9) Annachi in Chatriyan - Thilagan as the old fox taught a new lesson in villainry by not going overboard. "Chatriyan-ku saavu illennu sollittu ippo enn kaaladiyile eppadi sethu kidakkiraan paar.."
10) Veerabadran in Captain Prabhakaran - I think he was the first portrayal of Veerappan.. Dirty, ugly and deadly.. Mansur Ali Khan would have given Veerappan a real run for money. His scream "Pirabhakara" is still echoing in my ears..