Jul 24, 2005

Introspection

Hi guys.. I took an unexpected break from blogging due to the following reasons: a) Tight work; b) Wanted to finish reading Ponniyin Selvan; c) To see whether or not I am addicted enough to not take a week off from blogging; and d) Why blogging?

Dont we Indians like chutter-puttering a little too much? Ram mentioned that his official and personal life took a little suffering due to blogging so he too took a week's break.. If the software professionals like most of you, who sit in front of pc almost the entire day, feel your work affected, then a synthetic chemist like me got more than affected.. so, my blogging would be during the weekend... may be 3 per week, I will try to stretch it to 4.. around the weekend.. but, do visit mid-week too.. if I could sneak out some time and if some interesting stuff is there to write about, I surely will..

Coming back to the topic, I have seen in the campus, most Indian guys always on fone, especially after 9 PM and during weekends.. Another similar class who roam talking on cell fone is that of American girls.. Not many American guys.... and relatively less for desi girls.. What is there so much to talk about, yaar?

My best period of academic success was during 1998-1999 during which period I worked like mad.. I hardly watched movies, hardly sat in front of pc and TV for pastime, hardly chatted for long.. I was near workalholic.. Didnt miss all the things really.. The satisfaction of work and the pouring resuls was there.. The reason for where I am now is mostly due to my hard work during those two years... The past few years havent been so good.. esp. the last year and half.. Gotta shrug off the cobwebs and back to full time work and work-outs..

If you do a google search for Padmanaban or G Padmanaban, "I am feeling lucky" would take you directly to the link in my PhD lab.. there is one more veteran G Padmanaban, who was the director of IISc and one of the most famous biochemists of our country. It is high time I pull my sox up and restart my journey towards greater heights..

16 comments:

tt_giant said...

good to see your post!. dont work too much man.. just balance it out..

Anonymous said...

ya Deepak.. wish i could balance it nicely... but being married, doing short time post-doc and other commitments are literally strangling.. will try as often as possible...

Ram C said...

ATB for restarting your journey towards greater heights... will join u guys from nxt week onwards....

Anonymous said...

What is ATB, Ram?

Anonymous said...

You Can Do IT!!

Anonymous said...

Ram, understood what ATB is.. Thanks for the wishes..

Nitin, thanks to u too..

Balaji said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Balaji said...

gp, family and work(in that order) always take priority over blogging :) will miss your thoughtful posts during the week but fully understand too... good luck for even more success!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Balaji.. Not that Blogging is the root cause of all the problems.. but, as you know, writing a decent blog takes its own time, right?

It is really amazing how you manage your family with 2 kids, a job in silicon valley, writing tamil, hindi, english movie reviews, reading and reviewing books and MBA (anything else?). Hats off to you.. How many hours do you sleep at night? (I need an answer for this qn. :-))

வெங்கி / Venki said...

Hmmm. Even I am planning to do this GP. Because I have joined my Masters and felt that I will succeed only when I allocate more time for studying than for blogging. Yeah like what you have mentioned in your comments section, it needs some time to write a decent blog. True. So I will be taking a break from blogging soon.

All the Best GP!

Anonymous said...

Venky, yes.. IMHO, compared to a fixed-time working, other activities like studying for a degree require more time.

All the best for your masters.. Where are you going to do, in Singapore or elsewhere?

Balaji said...

gp, yeah it does take its time. esp when u write some thot-provoking stuff like u :)

i completed my mba last yr. so unga listla u can cross out that :) and i get about 6 hrs of sleep a night :)

Anonymous said...

mmm.. 6 hours of sleep.. so you get on an average three hours more than me to do other things..
I gotta cut mine short to 7 atleast..

வெங்கி / Venki said...

I am doing my Masters in Information Studies in NTU, Singapore. Thank you for your wishes.

I thought I would ask you. How do you manage time between work and studies? I am struggling to do it as I am doing my master 12 years after completing my UG.

Anonymous said...

Well, there is no difference between work and studies in case of post-docs.. we dont take any written exams once we get into PhD, so, all the reading is from the journals and books to beef up the knowledge on our subject.. which anyway is part of both PhD and post-doc programs..

S.G.Ramkumar said...

Now I am going back to my bench for work
ram, IISc